Sunday, June 3, 2007

the calm before the storm

So, here I sit in my room, with T minus one day until departure. Quick recap, for those of you not in the know: I am going to Paris for a few days to gallivant about, weep at the grave of Lafayette (my historical idol), travel to the beaches of Normandy to gaze at the sands my grandfather walked 63 years ago, to stand in awe at the tomb of Napoleon, and walk along the Seine in the footsteps of such colossal historical figures as Voltaire, Robespierre, and Jim Morrison. It promises to be a sensory overloading three days. After that, I am off to Munich, Germany, where I have a job as a tour guide. I will be giving walking tours of the city until the end of October.
The only thought that is consistently going through my mind is: What the hell am I doing?

For those of you who know me, I am sure you know that I am a rather composed individual, not prone to panic or stressing out. However, two nights ago, while in Vermont with all of my good Trinity friends (that was awesome), I sat up at night and freaked out. What have I gotten myself into? I can't speak French! I am going to be stuck in Charles DeGaulle Airport with no friends, no contacts, trying to find where U2 filmed the video for "Beautiful Day", all the while loaded down with a heckova lotta luggage! Doom quietly rests upon mine shoulders... and he's not happy.

But there is no reason to worry. Everything is just fine. Like any good American traveller, I know that the language barrier can be broken with volume.

So, what are the goals of this blog? One, I always wanted to be a trendy dude and say I have a blog. Phase one: complete. Besides that, hopefully all of you who are interested in my travels can check this site every once in a while and see what I am up to, who I have met, what I have drank, etc. Hopefully I will keep you up-to-date and entertained!

I'll try to update this as often as possible. Peace out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you don't drink a pint for me, we're gonna have a bit of a problem.

Don't worry dude; you're Matty fuckin' Reed. If anything, you'll break the langauge barrier with your feline gyrations.