Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mind Your Manners!

I love the manners that Germans have.

Well, maybe I phrased that incorrectly.

Germans (stereotyping to the max) are mannered people. They won't spit in the streets or belch (loudly) at the dinner table. They don't eat much with their hands and their elbow are always off the table.
What I love is the lack of formality in many exchanges, which is typical to an Englishman/American. Here are two of the exact same scenarios, one between Englishman, the other between Germans.


English:
A: Oh, good day to you sir.
B: And a fine day to you as well, my good man. How are you today?
A: Oh just dandy. Beautiful weather outside.
B: Agreed. It is quite lovely. What can I help you with today?
A: Hmmm... I am not sure. I was thinking maybe vanilla, but that chocolate looks very good.
B: It is indeed. Here, have a taste.
A: That's wonderful! Oh.... (sneezes). Excuse me.
B: God bless you.
A: Thank you.
B: You're welcome.
A: I'm sold! May I please have two scoops of chocolate?
B: Coming right up.
A: Here you go (hands money)
B: Thank you very much. Enjoy the rest of your day.
A: Good day to you too. Good bye!
B: Bye!


German:
A: Bitte.
B: Zwei schokolade.
A: Zwei euro
B: Danke.
A: Bitte.

Oh you crazy Germans!
-Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay, you're learning ein bischen deutsche!