Monday, August 13, 2007

Scary Quote

I happened to pick up a copy of a rather famous sci-fi book the other day: Dune. Now, I am not the sci-fi type, nor am I really much of a reader of fiction (reality is much more entertaining!).... but this is rather entertaining.

What's the point?
Well, there was this quote in the book that struck me and I want to share it with you. Now, I don't have it in front of me, so this is para-phrasing:

"Your inner self is revealed by what you despise."

WOW! That knocked my socks off because it is so true. Everybody likes fast internet, world peace, harmony, teddy bears and butterflies. But what do you despise? Me? Oh, ok, here we go:

1. I HATE it when people write in books. Underline, highlight, notes in margins. Doesn't matter. It is basically desecrating art. To me, that is like an art historian putting a big circle around Jesus in the painting of the Last Supper and drawing a big arrrow that says "Christ wuz here."

2. I despise bigotry. That sounds so "modern" and "trendy" but I really mean it. For just one example, I just hate it when there is a taboo against marrying outside of your "race." In all honesty, fuck that.
One thing you learn when traveling... we are all basically similar. Different foods, languages, and customs... of course. But that's what makes it spicy. Every person still feels loneliness, love, hunger, jealousy, elation, etc.

I can't think of anything else right now. I'll work on this one. What do you despise, and do you think that says more about you than what you love?
-Matt

No comments: