Friday, July 17, 2009

Contentment through Contradiction

"Tea is to making love as black espresso is to fucking. Sometimes, you just wanna fuck."

I wrote those immortal words when I was drunk at a cafe in Spain. Reading it again, it got me to thinking about how I appreciate things that are the complete opposite of each other. My guess is that I appreciate these things for that exact reason: their very differences appeal to me. I drew up a list of opposites that tickle me:


The serenity of the forest : The bustle of the city
Roasted chicken : Coq au Vin
Jeans and a t shirt : Perfectly fitted designer suits
Cheap beer : Bordeaux
a tender kiss, gently supporting her chin, and brushing soft hair from her brow : Use your imagination
Salted beef : Beef Wellington
Holding hands : Wasted clubbing
Snow in the mountains : Heat on the beach
Hemingway : Shakespeare
I could go on and on, but I think the point is made.

No comments: