Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Squash the Carbs!

In an effort to shed the tummy pouch that I've acquired over the past few months, I'm giving up carbs for a few days. I'm still in that envious state of development where I can lose a couple of pounds pretty much at the drop of a hat. Believe me, I'm thankful.

Considering my excursions into the culinary arts over the past month or so, I decided I wanted to try something a little different. A stir-fry is too tame and a salad sounded plainly uninspiring. But, with the helpful coaching of a co-worker (Blair), we came up with tonight's dish:

Spaghetti Squash Marinara

Halve a squash, scoop out the seeds and membranes, and pop it in the microwave in about 1/4 cup of water for 12 minutes. That's that.

For the sauce:
1/2 red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
a good bunch of basil
tomato sauce

I sauteed the onions and garlic, then added the can of tomato sauce and the basil. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Pop the squash out, fork out the tender insides and pour on the sauce. I added some slices of fresh mozzarella. Boom. Done. I'm stuffed.

An ice cold Manhattan rounds out the evening rather nicely. Not a bad Tuesday night.

No comments: